- This event has passed.
What is Consciousness For?Date:
Saturday, June 16
Public Arcade at 550 Madison Ave
550 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10022 US
Center for Inquiry-New York City
What is your understanding of the nature & function of Consciousness?
We will look at various theories of the function and nature of Consciousness:
1) Consciousness as biological adaptation
2) Consciousness as projecting and planning action
3) Consciousness as motivating one to live through self-love
4) Consciousness as serving to share information with others
5) Consciousness as recursive self-referencing loop
6) Consciousness as self-awareness and self-modeling
7) Consciousness as directing of attention
Paul will be giving a short presentation on the seven theories, followed by discussion in small groups. Come prepared to share your thoughts, to hear others’, and engage in thoughtful conversation.
We will be joined by 20+ members of other conversation groups.