- This event has passed.
Personality & it’s Transformations: Mythological & Historical ContextDate:
Saturday, October 13
Public Arcade at 550 Madison Ave
550 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10022 US
Center for Inquiry-New York City
Join us to get an historical overview of Personality Theories and the role of Mythology in understanding Personality.
1) What mechanisms of culture help us to repress the more sinister elements of personality? What does mythology have to say about where evil comes from?
2) Why are humans so fasicanated with Stories? Why are humans able to form a narrative out of just about anything? (even a random animation of triangles)
3) How do concepts of Order and Chaos play out through most mythologies, and what do they teach you about yourself?
4) What is the most important question: “What is the world made up of?” OR “How should I conduct myself in my culture?”
5) How do clinical theories, concerned with the transformation and improvement of personality and character, follow the same pattern as a classic narrative/mythological structure?
6) Why is Mother Nature represented as feminine? Why is Father Culture represented as masculine?
7) What is the role of Social Hierarchies in human beings?
More questions to be added…
“In this lecture, I provide some historical context for the understanding of personality, suggesting that the clinical theories, concerned with the transformation and improvement of personality and character, are embedded within a classic narrative/mythological structure.” — Jordan Peterson
See the lecture here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbAZ6cFxCeY
See the entire series of Personality & it’s Transformations series of lectures by Jordan Peterson here: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22J3VaeABQApSdW8X71Ihe34eKN6XhCi
We will be joined by 20+ members of other conversation groups.